A Nineteenth Century Bazaar by Owen Thompson
Blythburgh church was closed as unsafe at the end of 1881 and between then and 1884 the fabric underwent major restoration work. Finding the £1,000 or so required to pay for it was a major problem. Funds were raised by an appeal for public subscriptions, which generated substantial sums from the great and the good, and the widow’s mite. Another means was the holding of a concert in London. As well as these methods, at a committee meeting on 21 January 1882, ‘a bazaar in aid of the restoration fund was determined upon’ in the village for the summer. The incumbent, Henry Sykes, was responsible for initiating work on the church, but it was Lady Blois who undertook to organise this event.
By July plans for the bazaar were going smoothly, apart from ‘a protest by the Vicar against raffling’. At least he did not face the dilemma of whether to accept National Lottery funds! On the Friday before the event the East Anglian Daily Times reported that at the ‘Fancy Fair’ there were to be ‘shows, boating, music, lawn tennis, a performing hen and the magic well, which recently [had] created so much sensation at the Lilliputian Fair in London’. Special return tickets would be issued by the Great Eastern Railway Company at the price of a single fare, from Ipswich, Lowestoft, Yarmouth and all stations in the neighbourhood on both days. The bazaar was held over two days, Wednesday 9th and Thursday 10th August 1882. To us the idea of a mid-week event may seem strange, but on the first day £25 was taken at the entrance: at 1s per person this represents an attendance of 500 people. The weather was good and the day's receipts amounted to £170 19s. 3d. The second day was not so well attended, and the receipts were £57 0s. 2d. At the next committee meeting Lady Blois reported that the net proceeds were £211 14s. 2d.
Reports of the bazaar appeared in the East Anglian Daily Times, the Ipswich Journal, and also the Halesworth Times. There were long descriptions of how Mr Mills, the landlord of the White Hart, had come forward and kindly offered the use of the meadow at the back of the inn as the venue, of the marquee and three other tents, of the stalls, the concert, the sale of work done by various ladies, and of the other attractions on offer, amongst which was Masters Eardley and Ralph Blois's menagerie which included a three-legged duckling of which they were extremely proud! Whilst lamenting the poor condition of the church, the paper was pleased to see that ‘at last there is the best prospect of some practical attention being paid to it, for with an amount of energy and zeal worthy of the warmest commendation, Lady Blois and a number of other ladies ... have taken the subject up ... ’.
Once the first campaign of work had been completed and the church reopened at Easter in 1884, the enthusiasm for restoration appears to have waned, in some quarters at least. The building committee met to consider how to proceed with fund raising for the work that still needed to be done. The minutes simply record that there was ‘A desultory conversation on the propriety of applying to the London Incorporated Church Building Society for a grant, and the holding of a bazaar, both of which were declined’.
Sources: Suffolk County Record Office FC 198/E2/1 and HD 80/4/2
Owen Thompson, Hopton, January 1998
Back to the History Index
Some Favourite Websites For July 2018:
Lamorna Cottage – Affordable three-bedroomed self-catering cottage in Reydon near Southwold
An end-terrace cottage offering accommodation for up to five in quiet residential street. Garden plus shed for cycles. Close to village shops. 15 minutes walk to the sea. Open fire in Living Room. Radio, board games, puzzles and books but no TV. Sorry, no pets.
23 North Parade – Large sea-front house at Southwold with private parking for up to four cars
With six bedrooms this traditional family house sleeps up to twelve plus a cot. Parking for four cars. Panoramic sea views from the front of the house, including from the first floor sitting room. Back garden with barbecue. WiFi. Up to two dogs accepted for extra charge.
Hetty’s Little Copy Shop – A wide range of printing services - including 3D - plus passport photos and more
The Little Copy Shop is in Thoroughfare, Halesworth, and offers all sorts of useful services involving printing, laminating, scanning, binding and copying plus various photographic services including passport photos.
Bloom's – Comfortable Bed and Breakfast accommodation close to Southwold
B&B accommodation just for one or two, in modern farmhouse on working farm close to Southwold. WiFi. Kingsize bed in room. Exclusive use of private adjacent spacious bathroom with jacuzzi bath. Cycle Route 31 passes farm drive. Sorry, no children or pets accepted.
Southwold Beach Hut Owners Association – The online home of the owners of Southwold's iconic beach huts
On this website are details of the Southwold Beach Hut Owners Association group as well as the latest news and information for prospective, new and existing members, owning a tiny slice of our wonderful Suffolk coastline.