Blythweb - Featured Blythweb Reports
Over the years Blythweb has displayed a whole range of featured reports, from village signs in the Blyth Valley to Local historical Oddities and even reports about a few of the people of the Blyth Valley.
Below is a listing of all of our Reports.
- Wenhaston Millennium Map – This map was made by the people of Wenhaston and Mells to mark the second Millennium, to show their appreciation of the local environment, and to promote interest, concern and care for its well being. The pupils of Wenhaston School made the wildlife decorative border of the map.
- The Blythburgh Angel – A report about the design and history of The Blythburgh Angel, The village sign created to mark the Millennium.
- Local Poet Richard Maslen – A short introduction to the local Poet Richard Maslen, as well as a sample of his poems inspired by the Blyth Valley.
- The Bulcamp Oddity – Our short piece about an unusual architectural feature close to the A12 at Henham.
- Town and Village Signs – Pictures and information of the often beautiful and detailed town and village signs in and around the Blyth Valley area.
- The Electric Picture Palace Opening – Our report on the opening of the Electric Picture Palace on the 18th May 2002 with special guest Michael Palin
- Wangford Village Tour – The tour was conceived in 2004 and this was conducted by local resident Peter Muttitt. Here we have re-published this tour guide and included Peter´s additional points.
- Halesworth Airfield War Memorials – A fascinating link to the three war memorials just outside the Halesworth Airfield Museum, for the American servicemen who served there in the Second World War.
- Wenhaston's Millennium Sundial – An informed write up about the Millennium sundial affixed to the wall of Wenhaston Village Hall, as well as a guide to how to work out the time from the shadow on the dial.
- All About The Wenhaston Doom – A detailed exploration and guide to the nationally recognised and important Wenhaston Doom, a large 500+ year old panel painting rediscovered only 120 years ago.
- A Short History Of Blythburgh – A short history of the distinctive but quiet village of Blythburgh - famed for its large church in the marshes - written by Alan Mackley
- Local History Notes – Here the Blythburgh History Society have written 30 comprehensive articles on various different aspects of local history.
- Wenhaston St. Peter's Churchyard and Memorial Graveyard – Members of the Wenhaston WI, their friends and families, have examined and recorded all the memorials in St. Peter's Churchyard and nighbouring Memorial Graveyard in Wenhaston. Many of these were very worn or hidden in bushes, and so very hard to read.
Some Favourite Websites For December 2023:
1 Little Dingle Cottages – Self-catering accommodation for up to twelve people
This country cottage stands between Dunwich Forest and Dingle Marshes. Apart from the adjacent cottage it is quite isolated, being a mile from Dunwich village. Surrounded by open countryside, marshes, reedbeds and forest. Several major nature reserves are close by, with wildlife and birds to be seen on or near the property. Walks from the cottage. Parking. Pets by arrangement.
Juliet Penwarden Coaching – Juliet Penwarden Coaching - Horse riding and care
Juliet is an experienced and qualified coach who places a strong emphasis on harmony between horse and rider and takes great pleasure in helping partnerships progress, whatever their goals.
Lighthouse View – Superb Southwold self-catering cottage for four
Lighthouse View in Southwold is a comfortable and welcoming holiday cottage sleeping four in two bedrooms. This early-Victorian cottage is in the very heart of this attractive coastal town and the front door it is just yards from the promenade and sea.
Halesworth Millennium Green – The largest Millennium Green in England
Halesworth Millennium Green is a magical place to explore in all seasons and weathers. Come and find your favourite corner amongst the meadows, woodlands, rivers, ponds, heathland, orchard and along the historic route of the old railway and the even older navigation.
Waveney Wholesale – Suppliers of toys, novelties, giftware, china, housewares, pet items, beach goods and so much more
Established Halesworth-based suppliers with over 3000 lines stocked. On-line ordering or call and collect.