The Blythburgh History Society have written 30 articles on different aspects of local history, they are reproduced below, generally organised by subject (rather than when they where written). Click on the titles to view each page of locally researched history.There is a link back to this index at the bottom of each page.
Blythburgh History Notes
- A Brief History of Blythburgh - By Alan
- Bulcamp House of Industry to Blythburgh Hospital
- Blythburgh in 1792
- Selling a Wife in Blythburgh
- Isokon and Blythburgh
- Railways to Southwold
- William Morris and Blythburgh Church
- Blythburgh Shops in the Twenties
- Crime around the Blyth
- The Question of a Mint at Blythburgh
- A Nineteenth-Century Bazaar
- Blythburgh’s Poaching Priors
- How Rich was Blythburgh?
- Building a New Bridge for Blythburgh
- The Lambeth Life, St Walstan, and
- Writing about Blythburgh History. A Select Bibliography
Historical Notes on the Wider Area
Local Things of Interest
- Building a Bridge in 1794 on the Heveningham–Ubbeston Road
- The Old Rectory in Ubbeston
- Saint Felix School (Historical notes from 1897 to 1999)
- The Huntingfield Oak
- Henham Hall – A Lost House
Historical Local People
- Humphrey Jennings – a genius of the British cinema
- Witness to the First Kennedy Tragedy
- Joe Kennedy Jnr’s Last Mission
- Ale, Sail and School – The Pattman Family
- The Walberswick Enigma. Artists Inspired by the Blyth Estuary
- Ernest Read Cooper & the Transformation of Southwold Harbour, 1891-1914
For further information email Alan Mackley of The Blythburgh Society.
Some Favourite Websites For March 2017:
Rookyard Cottage, Holton – Eco-friendly self-catering cottage near Halesworth with private heated indoor swimming pool available
Set in over two acres Valley Farm offers two self-catering cottages, Rookyard Cottage and Swallow Barn, both with eco-friendly features and each sleeping up to four people + cot. Rated AA 4 Stars. WiFi. Private heated indoor swimming pool available. Ten miles from seaside at Southwold. Pets not accepted.
Lighthouse View – Superb Southwold self-catering cottage for four
Lighthouse View in Southwold is a comfortable and welcoming holiday cottage sleeping four in two bedrooms. This early-Victorian cottage is in the very heart of this attractive coastal town and the front door it is just yards from the promenade and sea.
Larnaca Holiday Apartment, Cyprus – Sun, Sand and the Mediterranean!
Get away from it all and stay in this lovely one bedroomed apartment for two which features two large balconies offering views of the sea and distant mountains and only a short walk from central Larnaca, in the heart of the Mediterranean!
Holly Tree Cottage – Self-catering for up to six in 4-bedroomed cottage in Wangford, three miles from Southwold
Holly Tree Cottage is a comfortable cottage, with central heating, garden and own parking. WiFi. Sleeps five in four bedrooms (one downstairs), sleeps six when using the additional stackaway bed. Downstairs bathroom. Open all year. Sorry no pets.
Beat The Beast Challenge – Read about Archies incredible Journey
In September 2013, following extensive investigation in to the cause of my deafness a scan revealed not only a Chlosteatoma but also a Brain Tumour on the right temporal lobe. I refused to curl up into a ball and wait for the lights to go out. Instead I resolved to get out there to take the fight to the beast. I am inviting you to join me on my personal challenge to Beat my Beast of a Brain Tumour and help improve the lives of so many more people. Follow me!