The Blythburgh History Society have written 30 articles on different aspects of local history, they are reproduced below, generally organised by subject (rather than when they where written). Click on the titles to view each page of locally researched history.There is a link back to this index at the bottom of each page.
Blythburgh History Notes
- A Brief History of Blythburgh - By Alan
- Bulcamp House of Industry to Blythburgh Hospital
- Blythburgh in 1792
- Selling a Wife in Blythburgh
- Isokon and Blythburgh
- Railways to Southwold
- William Morris and Blythburgh Church
- Blythburgh Shops in the Twenties
- Crime around the Blyth
- The Question of a Mint at Blythburgh
- A Nineteenth-Century Bazaar
- Blythburgh’s Poaching Priors
- How Rich was Blythburgh?
- Building a New Bridge for Blythburgh
- The Lambeth Life, St Walstan, and
- Writing about Blythburgh History. A Select Bibliography
Historical Notes on the Wider Area
Local Things of Interest
- Building a Bridge in 1794 on the Heveningham–Ubbeston Road
- The Old Rectory in Ubbeston
- Saint Felix School (Historical notes from 1897 to 1999)
- The Huntingfield Oak
- Henham Hall – A Lost House
Historical Local People
- Humphrey Jennings – a genius of the British cinema
- Witness to the First Kennedy Tragedy
- Joe Kennedy Jnr’s Last Mission
- Ale, Sail and School – The Pattman Family
- The Walberswick Enigma. Artists Inspired by the Blyth Estuary
- Ernest Read Cooper & the Transformation of Southwold Harbour, 1891-1914
For further information email Alan Mackley of The Blythburgh Society.
Some Favourite Websites For January 2019:
Andy Seedhouse Boats – Andy Seedhouse Boats, Woodbridge - Boat Sales
A friendly and professional family-run business with an old-fashioned approach to customer service, located on the picturesque waterfront at Woodbridge on the River Deben. From dinghies and day boats to fishing boats and yachts, and even including liveaboard boats too, Andy brings his many years of experience in helping his customers buy and sell. Also chandlery, trailers, etc.
Alan Ross Removals – Alan Ross Removals
A long-established Suffolk-based company with a wealth of experience and offering competitive pricing for removals, haulage and storage. Residential and commercial relocation services offered.
Lighthouse View – Superb Southwold self-catering cottage for four
Lighthouse View in Southwold is a comfortable and welcoming holiday cottage sleeping four in two bedrooms. This early-Victorian cottage is in the very heart of this attractive coastal town and the front door it is just yards from the promenade and sea.
Brook Farm Stables – Juliet Penwarden Coaching
Juliet is an experienced and qualified coach who places a strong emphasis on harmony between horse and rider and takes great pleasure in helping partnerships progress, whatever their goals.
Singtong Neeyom Thai Restaurant – Delicious authentic Thai Cuisine
Take a look at Singtong Neeyom Thai Restaurant in the centre of Halesworth, for a range of delicious and skillfully prepared Thai dishes created by their own native Thai, Piek.