The Blythburgh History Society have written 30 articles on different aspects of local history, they are reproduced below, generally organised by subject (rather than when they where written). Click on the titles to view each page of locally researched history.There is a link back to this index at the bottom of each page.
Blythburgh History Notes
- A Brief History of Blythburgh - By Alan
- Bulcamp House of Industry to Blythburgh Hospital
- Blythburgh in 1792
- Selling a Wife in Blythburgh
- Isokon and Blythburgh
- Railways to Southwold
- William Morris and Blythburgh Church
- Blythburgh Shops in the Twenties
- Crime around the Blyth
- The Question of a Mint at Blythburgh
- A Nineteenth-Century Bazaar
- Blythburgh’s Poaching Priors
- How Rich was Blythburgh?
- Building a New Bridge for Blythburgh
- The Lambeth Life, St Walstan, and
- Writing about Blythburgh History. A Select Bibliography
Historical Notes on the Wider Area
Local Things of Interest
- Building a Bridge in 1794 on the Heveningham–Ubbeston Road
- The Old Rectory in Ubbeston
- Saint Felix School (Historical notes from 1897 to 1999)
- The Huntingfield Oak
- Henham Hall – A Lost House
Historical Local People
- Humphrey Jennings – a genius of the British cinema
- Witness to the First Kennedy Tragedy
- Joe Kennedy Jnr’s Last Mission
- Ale, Sail and School – The Pattman Family
- The Walberswick Enigma. Artists Inspired by the Blyth Estuary
- Ernest Read Cooper & the Transformation of Southwold Harbour, 1891-1914
Some Favourite Websites For July 2019:
CICO Chimney and Fireplace Services – Taking pride in providing a perfect chimney lining and fire prevention service
As one of the largest networks of chimney lining installers in the UK, CICO chimneys offer advice and solutions to individuals and trade. Since the early 1980's CICO chimney linings have continually developed a service and product that have been approved and recognised by many professionals as well as the general public.
Logs Logs Logs – Family Firm delivering kiln dried logs to Norfolk and Suffolk, including Norwich, Diss and Woodbridge
Logs available in tipper loads and bulk bags for wood burning stoves, open fires and pizza ovens. In addition supplying firewood in bulk bags to Essex, Cambridgeshire, London and beyond.
Lima Cottage Flat – A spacious get-away retreat for two, in the heart of Walberswick, close to the beach and the village green
Situated in the picturesque coastal village of Walberswick, Lima Cottage is a self contained, self catering, first floor holiday flat. This holiday home - sleeping two - is close to the beach, local pubs and gift shops.
Rookyard Cottage, Holton – Eco-friendly self-catering cottage near Halesworth with private heated indoor swimming pool available
Set in over two acres Valley Farm offers two self-catering cottages, Rookyard Cottage and Swallow Barn, both with eco-friendly features and each sleeping up to four people + cot. Rated AA 4 Stars. WiFi. Private heated indoor swimming pool available. Ten miles from seaside at Southwold. Pets not accepted.
Andy Seedhouse Boats – Andy Seedhouse Boats, Woodbridge - Boat Sales
A friendly and professional family-run business with an old-fashioned approach to customer service, located on the picturesque waterfront at Woodbridge on the River Deben. From dinghies and day boats to fishing boats and yachts, and even including liveaboard boats too, Andy brings his many years of experience in helping his customers buy and sell. Also chandlery, trailers, etc.