The Blythburgh History Society have written 30 articles on different aspects of local history, they are reproduced below, generally organised by subject (rather than when they where written). Click on the titles to view each page of locally researched history.There is a link back to this index at the bottom of each page.
Blythburgh History Notes
- A Brief History of Blythburgh - By Alan
- Bulcamp House of Industry to Blythburgh Hospital
- Blythburgh in 1792
- Selling a Wife in Blythburgh
- Isokon and Blythburgh
- Railways to Southwold
- William Morris and Blythburgh Church
- Blythburgh Shops in the Twenties
- Crime around the Blyth
- The Question of a Mint at Blythburgh
- A Nineteenth-Century Bazaar
- Blythburgh’s Poaching Priors
- How Rich was Blythburgh?
- Building a New Bridge for Blythburgh
- The Lambeth Life, St Walstan, and
- Writing about Blythburgh History. A Select Bibliography
Historical Notes on the Wider Area
Local Things of Interest
- Building a Bridge in 1794 on the Heveningham–Ubbeston Road
- The Old Rectory in Ubbeston
- Saint Felix School (Historical notes from 1897 to 1999)
- The Huntingfield Oak
- Henham Hall – A Lost House
Historical Local People
- Humphrey Jennings – a genius of the British cinema
- Witness to the First Kennedy Tragedy
- Joe Kennedy Jnr’s Last Mission
- Ale, Sail and School – The Pattman Family
- The Walberswick Enigma. Artists Inspired by the Blyth Estuary
- Ernest Read Cooper & the Transformation of Southwold Harbour, 1891-1914
Some Favourite Websites For December 2020:
Logs Logs Logs – Family Firm delivering kiln dried logs to Norfolk and Suffolk, including Norwich, Diss and Woodbridge
Logs available in tipper loads and bulk bags for wood burning stoves, open fires and pizza ovens. In addition supplying firewood in bulk bags to Essex, Cambridgeshire, London and beyond.
Woodside Barn – Skilful conversion of a Grade II listed timber-framed barn close to Aldeburgh, for up to Six
Children and well-behaved pets welcome. Downstairs bedroom with wet room. All bedrooms en-suite. WiFi. Outside space.
Stoneware Birds – Life-sized handmade and unique British birds, now available to buy online.
A charming unique gift or a treat for oneself. See the website to know how each one is made. Now available to buy online. Each bird is an individual creation, varying in choice from the perky wren to the plump bullfinch together with other well-loved British birds. Which will you choose?
Golden Light Essences – A Gift of Transformation
Golden Light Essences comprise a range of flower and vibrational essences. These flower essences have been created to help us to understand and transform the negative beliefs we have about ourselves, and our world.
Alan Ross Removals – Alan Ross Removals
A long-established Suffolk-based company with a wealth of experience and offering competitive pricing for removals, haulage and storage. Residential and commercial relocation services offered.