The Blythburgh History Society have written 30 articles on different aspects of local history, they are reproduced below, generally organised by subject (rather than when they where written). Click on the titles to view each page of locally researched history.There is a link back to this index at the bottom of each page.
Blythburgh History Notes
- A Brief History of Blythburgh - By Alan
- Bulcamp House of Industry to Blythburgh Hospital
- Blythburgh in 1792
- Selling a Wife in Blythburgh
- Isokon and Blythburgh
- Railways to Southwold
- William Morris and Blythburgh Church
- Blythburgh Shops in the Twenties
- Crime around the Blyth
- The Question of a Mint at Blythburgh
- A Nineteenth-Century Bazaar
- Blythburgh’s Poaching Priors
- How Rich was Blythburgh?
- Building a New Bridge for Blythburgh
- The Lambeth Life, St Walstan, and
- Writing about Blythburgh History. A Select Bibliography
Historical Notes on the Wider Area
Local Things of Interest
- Building a Bridge in 1794 on the Heveningham–Ubbeston Road
- The Old Rectory in Ubbeston
- Saint Felix School (Historical notes from 1897 to 1999)
- The Huntingfield Oak
- Henham Hall – A Lost House
Historical Local People
- Humphrey Jennings – a genius of the British cinema
- Witness to the First Kennedy Tragedy
- Joe Kennedy Jnr’s Last Mission
- Ale, Sail and School – The Pattman Family
- The Walberswick Enigma. Artists Inspired by the Blyth Estuary
- Ernest Read Cooper & the Transformation of Southwold Harbour, 1891-1914
Some Favourite Websites For January 2020:
Allens Butchers – Personal service and many years of experience are the hallmarks of this outstanding local butcher
There has been a butchers shop on this site for at least 200 years. Kevin Allen, who has owned and run the shop for over 20 years, is committed to selling the best quality local produce. For this reason he buys all his meat direct from local farms.
PJN Motor Engineering – A long-established garage you can trust, Wenhaston near Halesworth
Repairs, diagnostics, servicing, MOT preparation and submission, welding, valeting and much more. All work done using high quality oils, components and accessories. Member of the Good Garage Scheme.
Logs Logs Logs – Family Firm delivering kiln dried logs to Norfolk and Suffolk, including Norwich, Diss and Woodbridge
Logs available in tipper loads and bulk bags for wood burning stoves, open fires and pizza ovens. In addition supplying firewood in bulk bags to Essex, Cambridgeshire, London and beyond.
Leman Cottage – Intricate 17th Century house with 21st Century comforts
Comfortably Sleeping up to five, this well–equipped period cottage features a cosy woodburner and an enclosed garden as well as off road parking with good walks and local pubs nearby. 1 or 2 dogs allowed.
Chris Doyle Photography – Beautiful Photos of local recent horse riding events
View extensive online galleries of recent horse shows, show jumping, cross country and other events as well as galleries of racing dogs and wildlife. Prints are available to order online.